From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:40:53 -0400
On 5 Sept 00, at 9:38, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:

 > No one has addressed whether the fact that mobo has four speaker
 > connections, while internal speaker has two leads, leaving two
 > mobo speaker connections unfilled, relates to lack of output from
 > internal speaker.
 > Mobo:
 >
 > Data Out
 > N.C.
 > Ground
 > +5V
 >
 > Speaker:
 >
 > White
 > Orange

>At 9/6/00 06:11 AM, Dave Gillett wrote:
>   I don't think anyone knows *why* the speaker connector has two dead
>pins between the two live ones -- except that the original IBM PC did
>it that way.  Possibly it's to make sure that there's no way you can
>put the speaker current through one of the case LEDs?
>   In any case, the wiring you describe is totally classic/standard,
>and so unlikely to be relevant to your specific problem.

---  And I comment:

I have noticed that there has been two answers concerning connecting the
two speaker wires to the 4 pins on the motherboard.  One is connecting
between Data Out and +5v (Pins 1 and 4) while the other is Data Out and
Ground (Pins 1 and 3).  I may be mistaken but I think that I have had to
connect the speaker Data out to Ground on some boards (boards with active
data lines) and on other motherboards to Data Out and +5v (passive data
lines).  Demetri might need to change the connections for his particular
motherboard to make the PC speaker active.  Comments?

Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html