Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:17:19 -0700
The industry standard is the Wacom Intuous graphics tablet.  You can get them in
a number of sizes, but the only one under $200 is the 4X5 USB tablet (You can
find it on the Internet for $135-$150 or so, but I think it only retails for
$199.99).  Wacom is the choice of most graphics artists.  It is the Photoshop of
its kind.  If you want to spend serious money, you can buy them up to 12X18.
There is a cheaper model, the Graphire by Wacom which retails for $100 for the
4X5 USB model.  The pen does not have 1024 pressure sensitive settings like the
Intuous model (only 512), but for what you want to do (unless you are a
professional) it would be way more than adequate.  I have this model, and it is
a big hit with my 4-year old daughter.  She loves to draw on the monitor screen
(it comes with Pentools).  You can scribble in Word and your photo editor.  It
also comes with a wireless two button mouse to use on the pad.  I think the
Intuous comes with a fancier mouse, 4D, and maybe 3 or 4 buttons.  For me the
Intuous was overkill.  I got my Graphire from www.buycomp.com last July for $85,
but if you check www.pricewatch.com you'll probably find it cheaper. Go look at
them at www.wacom.com.  Joel

Need some help in choosing a graphics tablet to edit digital photos and for
"doodling". I have searched the Inet, and except for a couple of rudimentary
reviews, haven't found useful technical information or a reliable supplier. I'm
looking for an inexpensive (<$200) tablet that has a pressure sensitive pen, a
decent sample rate and resolution and inputs through a serial or USB port. I use
CorelDraw 10 Graphics Suite in Windows 98, a Pentium III processor with adequate
RAM and HD space. Any information and recommendations

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>