From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:59:37 -0400
Actually, well written TSR (terminate stay resident) programs
do not prevent other TSRs from loading and executing. It simply a
matter of finding and moving the pointer for the existing routine
to point at your routine.  Instead of returning control to the user
program, you call the routine you replaced.  Any number of TSR
programs can squeeze into this chain, memory size permitting.
Unfortunately, many user programs would "steal" the pointer
for its own routine, thus breaking the chain and preventing all
previously resident routines chained to that pointer from executing.
Lotus 123 comes to mind, at least the version I used.  Hot keys and
buffers were disabled once Lotus 123 loaded.
Tom Turak