From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:45:13 -0400
At 08:03 AM 6/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>There is a jumper for DIMM slot frequency.  Set this in accordance with the
>mobo manual (sounds like you did).

Yes, done.

>Go to setup (when you boot press DEL key) and change memory settings to more
>aggressive levels:
>-Try 4-bank interleave (2 if 4 is unstable, or off if 2 fails)
>-fastest timing settings (turbo, no delays, etc.)
>-to decipher mobo manual, set all memory-related items to "better" level by
>looking for key words such as "for system performance", et. al.  The broken
>English is rough, but if you write down current settings you can always go
>back if there's a failure.

Yes, the broken English is a real pain, but I see what you are saying and will
give it a shot.

>Make sure you shadow and cache as much as runs
>stable (Video & System BIOS in particular).

I have had all the shadowing enabled since I installed this board.

>Also, check your video card
>texture memory setting...you may have more memory tied into textures if the
>video driver automatically allocates based on fraction of total available
>system memory.

Now, how do you check the texture memory setting?  I don't see a setting for
this in the BIOS.

>FYI, if you have mixed PC100 & non-PC100 DIMM on the board, you saved
>yourself nothing...the mobo will actually run slower and PC100
>jumpers/settings will not be stable on this motherboard (best in that case
>to sell non-PC100 stick and replace with new).

No, I ripped out the old EDO SIMMS and sold them back to my dealer.  Amazingly,
those SIMMS are getting a nice price on the market for a trade-in.  I was able
to get $20 each for 32MB EDO 72-pin, and $11 for the 16MB version of the same.
That got me $62 for my old 96MB and the new PC100 Micron sold for $99.  So I
guess I paid $37 for 32 more MB and the 8ns speed versus my old 60ns.

>As for the 95 FSB, one would not expect this to slow things down going SIMM
>to DIMM.

This is what I assumed, but you never know.  Thanks Martin.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org