From:
Mathew Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:36:18 -0400
>Thanks for your suggestion. But what would you recomend if I wanted to
>buy a
>wide hard drive, which in fact is what I'm planning to buy. What is your
>opinion on the 2940UW. I appreciate all your help since this is really
>the first time I'm going to build my own PC.

Nicolas, I run an Adaptec 2940UW (BIOS ver. 1.32) and 2 UW_Quantum Atlas
II's, great drives
(7200 rpm), IBM  and Seagate have some real fast (10,000 rpm) UW SCSI HDD's
now, people I
talk to that own the fast IBM's love them.
The sustained transfer rates on my Atlas II's are from 6 to 7 MB/s, testing
done with "Threadmark" and takes about an hour, but it gets it right.
You may never see a 40MB/s burst rate, I wouldn't even know how to test
that.

One things for sure, you can't beat the versatility of SCSI, I will never
run IDE again.

One thing you should keep in mind is that the 2940UW has an external 68 pin
connector for your external devices.
I also have have a 68 to 50 converter for this Controller but never use it;
it cost about $65.00 from Granite Digital.
These converters need to terminate the High bits so they don't conflict with
(contaminate)
the UW bus.

For external devices I use an Advansys Fast SCSI-2, (soon to be replaced
with an Advansys Ultra) if Advansys had a UW
controller when I was in the market I would have bought it.  They're great
controllers, some say faster than Adaptec's 2940UW, not sure.
The AdvansysUW controller has a 50 pin external adapter, that's a plus, and
you can buy
direct (UW about $135.00, Ultra about $100.00).  I paid about $200.00 for
the Adaptec 2940UW.
http://www.advansys.com/

I did have to return my 2940UW, I think I hurt the poor thing Over-Clocking,
it went out in a "Blaze of Glory," don't do that. :~)
Both Adaptec and Advansys have great support, "Diamond Multi Media" support
can be a big pain (FirePort 40).
WinNT 4.0 Win95 OSR/2  and I'm sure Win98 will support the Adaptec 2940UW
during setup, but not a prob to
setup the Advansys during NT setup.
Even so, you will still need update you driver after installation, they all
use old drivers.
"RH5 Linux" supports both during setup.

The new Advansys Ultra and UW SCSI controllers support all the major
CD-Bruner brands, (if you ever plan to go there) and won't tie-up the system
for 15 or 30 min while burning if the Burner is OFF the HDD's controller.
Not a bad idea if you have the $$$.

I will soon be running the Adaptec 2940UW on my server and an
AdvansysUW controller on my client with an Advansys Ultra for externals,
CD-ROM, and CD-RW (Yamaha 4260ti), I've got it bad.

HTH. Matt