From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:17:50 -0700
Jim,

The interesting thing is that Windows has stopped reinstalling all that
stuff.  There have been numerous restarts/shutdowns, and it has only booted
into safe mode once.  My wife just shut it down, and when I came home it
booted up into Windows.  I have no idea why, maybe I beat it into submission
by constantly removing everything.  Whatever cured the problem, it is
running like a well-oiled machine at the moment except for my A drive not
working.  That, however, is not related to the former problems since the
BIOS and Windows can see the drive.  Good luck, Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the information.  I will try some of your suggestions.

I found an interesting page that has a small utility for removing
all of the hardware in the registry.  I think that it was created
to work with Win95 and Win98. I don't know if it will work with
WinME.  On the page there are two small files.  The first file (shc.bat)
is for backing up all of the registry hardware settings, and the second one
(rhfr.exe)is for removing all traces of all hardware in the registry.  The
page is at:
http://www.bigedtech.com/oldbigedtech/bigedtech.com-new/html/microsoft/windo
ws98/hardwareconfig/hardconfig.htm