From:
Jerry Heston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:55:29 -0400
Chances are, with an old 486, that the BIOS doesn't support a boot from CD.
One way to get back up is to install a version of DOS so you can get the CD
driver loaded.  Then install Win 95.  Alternatively, if you can, put the
hard drive into another machine and copy all the CAB files to the hard
drive, reinstall it in the 486 and install from the hard drive.

> Hi,
> You should be able to go into your bios, and have your cdrom be
> the primary
> boot device, the one that boots first,  but first put your
> windows cd in the
> drive, so that you reboot and it goes first to your cdrom drive.
>
> > Hello,
> >      I hope someone can help me.  I do not know what else to do.  I have
> an old 486 computer.  I formatted my C: drive.  I cannot load windows 95
> back on my drive because my cd rom will not work.  I downloaded a
> driver off
> of the internet.  My cd rom is a Mitsumi fx001d.  I went through the steps
> of installing it but when I reboot my computer it keeps telling me Device
> Driver not found.  No valid cdrom device drivers selected.  I have been
> working on this computer for a week.  Do you think I need to give up and
> trash it?  Please Help. :(

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>