From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:21:05 -0400
For starters, you cannot have both the USB connection and ethernet connections plugged in at the same time.  The ethernet connection from the cable modem should go to the Wan port on the router.  Unplug the USB connector.  Check with Adelphi about the static IP assignment.  I had excite@home that became AT&T, and although I have an SMC router/switchbox, I'm sure it works much the same as your Linksys.  Both companies have dynamic IP addresses.  If I assigned an IP to either of my computers neither could access the Internet, nor could they even see each other. If I enabled DHCP nothing worked. In network properties make sure that in your NIC card configs for TCP/IP that WINS is disabled, DNS is disabled, no gateways appear in gateway, dynamic IP addresses is checked (check with Adelphi on this), and that TCP/IP is checked in bindings.  When you're all done with that, turn off your cable modem for 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

>I am working with a client, trying to set up a network, mostly to give
>cable internet access (through Adelphi) to both of their computers. I
>got the network up and going through a Linksys router (with a wan port
>and three 10/100 receptacles - factory default IP address is
>192.168.1.1). However, to make the network work, I had to assign static
>IP addresses - the usual 192.168.1.x in the various network
>configurations of each computer (one ME, the other XP).
>
>The modem has an Ethernet and a USB port, both of which are plugged
>in(!) When Adelphi first connected them up, the modem was connected
>directly to the ME computer via USB. They added the router later. When
>connected via the USB connection, both computers (individually - not
>over the network) can access the internet no problem. When only one
>computer (the ME) is connected via USB, the other cannot use the
>internet. When no USB connection is used, neither machine can access the
>internet.
>
>I allowed the router to do DHCP and neither the network nor the internet
>worked. I even read the manual!

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>