From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:51:31 -0800
Hi, when it comes to laptops you don't have the same
upgrade options as a regular pc and not just because of
size. They don't get anymore proprietary than laptops
for lack of standardization. Older laptos were not
built with upgrade in mind because the market was still
to new.

As an example: A Canon laptop 486/133 AMD came
in for a hard drive upgrade. This unit would only
work with 2 drive sizes and risked damaging
the controller if we tried a newer faster drive.
Definitely consult the manufacturer about what
will work. Laptop motherboards are custom
designed to use hardware available at the time
and leave few or no options for upgrading
later. Upgrade options have improved with newer
laptops, but are still limited to the configurations
incorporated by manufacturers.
-yui shin