From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:42:46 -0700
You are likely to get a varied set of opinions on this one. I have used Red
Hat, Mandrake, and a couple of others while I was teaching networking and
Unix. My students would bring in various flavors of Linux and we would try
them out. Many liked Mandrake, but for my server I initially used Red Hat.
After running into a few problems, I decided to try Free BSD at the
recommendation from an advanced student (he knew more than I did).

I never regretted switching to Free BSD. It was easier (for me) to deal with
and seemed more reliable. It also did not install a bunch of software that I
did not need. In other words, it was lean and mean! To be fair, it is a bit
harder to configure for the novice, and there is not quite as much popular
support for it as there is for Linux. Note that Free BSD is NOT Linux; it is
another PC port of a Unix OS.

If all you want is to try out Linux or a UNIX type of OS, you can get a
bootable CD version or even a single floppy Tom's Linux. Just my input for
you to consider.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                     support at our newest website: