From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:33:32 -0400
I recommend a shareware program called SmartStart.  It allows you to
browse, add, change, and temporarily remove startup items from the 3 places
in the Registry that starts programs on startup, the Startup Menu, and the
Win.ini Run and Load lines. Registration is just $15 and I use it often
when I try new programs and utilities.

If you don't want to use SmartStart then this is the list of where programs
may launch on startup:

(1) the startup folder (in c:\windows\start menu\startup)

(2) the load= and run= lines in win.ini

(3) The Run, RunOnce, RunServices and RunServicesOnce keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

(4) The Run and RunOnce keys under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

(5) subkeys under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\

(6) the [386enh] and [boot] sections of system.ini

(7) the IOSUBSYS folder (drivers load automatically)

(8) The config.sys, autoexec.bat and winstart.bat files

The win.ini, config.sys, autoexec.bat, system.ini and winstart.bat
files you can run edit to make changes to these files.

HTH

At 02:46 AM 5/30/99 , JMB wrote:
>My son's laptop has started to act funny, so he says.  He had loaded
>some CDROM games onto his computer, but the "sound" drivers were not up
>to snuff for them so he deleted them.  But now, whenever he starts up
>his laptop, when the icons start appearing on the desktop, the floppy
>drive starts up and will either run for about 2 minutes or until he
>sticks in a blank floppy.
>
>I had him search: Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, and look in his Startup
>folder for anything pointing to the A: drive, but he couldn't find
>anything (this was done over the phone from K.C. to Tulsa).
>
>Any ideas as to where else I might need to have him look?  Any
>shortcuts?

Doug Simmons

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>