From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:23:50 -0800
Dan,

There are a lot of things you have left out of the scenario here.  How much
RAM, what brand and speed of processor, what hard drive, etc.

In order to install the Compaq diagnostic partition you need to run Fdisk on
the drive but do not create any partitions (either primary or logical).  You
then run the setup on the Softpaq disks, then proceed to Fdisk into
partitions and install (being careful not to delete the non-dos partition
that Compaq so conveniently stuck on the front of your drive).

I would say the 16% issue might have something to do with drivers that are
trying to load.  I did a little poking around on the Compaq web site and
according to them you should do an upgrade to 98 from 95.  They don't say
anything about it not workingwhen you do a fresh install, but that may be a
possible solution.

Hope this helps.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions