From:
jokester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:22:27 -0600
Bob:

I cannot speak for the raid or the solid state aspect.  I can however speak
on the idea of everything being on a separate drive as I have done this before.

What I did was install fresh a copy of the OS.  Once installed, i went into
the registry and changed the install program path from the default of
C:\program files\ to the area I wanted.  For instance in your situation you
could have made it D:\my programs\.  This way no matter whether the program
looks at the registry for install path information or you can specify
during the install, they will all go there.

Two caveats on this .  The first one is make sure you are comfortable in
going in and editing the registry, making sure you back it up prior to
making changes.  The second one is that you will have to also move/copy
some programs like IE and outlook to the other drive as the OS installs
them by default to the C; drive and will not know where to locate them if
you change the default.

Hope that this helps out.

Sam R.

At 12:33 PM 06 04, 2009, you wrote:
>A friend is planning a build... He wants to run XP Pro 64 bit... put the
>OS on a pair of MLC solid state drives (80G)...and utilize Raid 0. He
>would like to have all his programs (other than the OS) on a conventional
>hard drive. His question to me was whether he can run all the programs on
>the separate (D) drive...  Any and all comments would be appreciated.
>Thanks, Bob Lendrim

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml