From:
DISC Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 08:47:09 -0400
At 07:24 PM 6/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On 30 Jun 98 at 14:56, Michael Gerke wrote:
>
>> Please pardon me if this has already been recently addressed on
>> the list, but could someone please explain the new AGP video?
>
>> I am considering an upgrade soon from my 486DX/100 to a AMD K6
>> chip and board, and would like to know if I should opt for the
>> larger ATX board with AGP or stick with my baby AT format and PCI.
>
>> What difference will I see and what about the cost of the
>> associated video cards?

Lets not forget other advantages of AGP though, PCI bus only
handles 132 MB
bandwidth while the AGP bus handles 528MB and you only have
one device on
it at a time unlike your PCI bus, and the PCI bus only runs
at 33MHz and
the AGP bus runs at 66MHz and when 4x AGP comes out it will
have a banwidth
of up to 1GB :)
Unfortionatly if you build a lot of dual video card systems
like I do you
cannot take advantage of AGP cause there is only one slot so
I have to get
2 PCI cards such as the Matrox Millenium II, it would be
really nice if
they came out with boards that had 2 AGP slots but I don't
think the AGP
architecture supports such things, anybody?

   ...James Kerr