From:
Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:57:32 -0500
I have a problem with my UMAX Astra 2000P flatbed 8.5x11scanner.  It's a
parallel port scanner not usb and can scan bw,color, 24bit color,
100-2400dpi, just in case you're wondering. I've had the scanner for 2 years
and it worked fine during the first year but I noticed after a year that a
portion of the scanned image was green.  After more time, this green area
began to grow.  There is nothing physically wrong on the scanning plate of
the scanner that I can see, the scanner is somehow picking up a green/yellow
color during the scanning process., the result is that a portion of the
scanned image has a green/yellow bar down the right side of it. The
green/yellow color lines don't cover the entire image, just the right
portion of the image.  I connect the scanner to both a win98 and a win2k pc
but both produce the same results so I know it isn't the pc that's causing
the problem.  Has anyone else heard of this type of problem with umax
scanners or any other brand scanners?  I can still scan 4x6 images, and the
images look fine, after the scan process is complete I use image editing
software (adobe photoshop, paint, photo editor, etc.) to manually cut off
the portion of the image that green colored, it's just the inconvenience of
having to crop off 1-2 inches of photo after every scan. I'm sure that the
scanner is toast but you would figure that a scanner could last longer than
2 years. Thanks for any advice or information you may have on this problem.

Thx...rob,wpg