From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:44:16 -0400
I'm going to guess that the MoBo was recently changed and that they left the
original cables installed in the case.

This same problem has come up numerous times over the last 2-3 months.

Each motherboard has it's own unique pinout for the comm connectors on the
board.
This is due to the different design and layout characteristics for the
board.
The comm port will only work with the cable that was packaged with the
motherboard.
In many situations, you can not use the same cable from model to the next
model from the same manufacturer due to changes in the layout of the traces
on the board and changes to the pin positions on the connector.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting     Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol   International Webmasters Association
=====