From:
"K. Karl Kuller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:27:01 -0700
Hi All,
     My computer had been working normally.  All of a sudden I
cannot boot the computer from the hard drive.  During the loading
process, I got the message that EMM386.EXE is not loaded and that
XMS Manager is not present.

     When I boot from my floppy, I can see that EMM386.EXE is in
the \Windows folder and I do not get the above messages.  If I
then go the the \Windows folder and type WIN, the loading of
Windows is interrupted with the blue screen that says "VFAT
cannot load".

   When I tried to re-install Win 98, I only progressed up to
Checking Hardware for PNP applications (with 12 minutes to go),
at which point the rotating magifying glass stopped and nothing
further happened.  If that occurs, the instructions are to turn
computer off then back on again, which I did several times but
with no positive results.

    The only hardware change I had made was in the memory, where
I had replaced two 32-MB PC 100 sticks with a single Mushkin
PC100 128-MB CAS2 unit (my ASUS motherboard FSB functions at 100
MHz).  I removed the Mushkin memory and installed it in my other
computer to check it out.  It worked normally so I re-installed
it in my main computer.

     Any ideas out there?
     K. Karl Kuller

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: