From:
Dale <dlaluk@[142.27.26.24]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:37:24 +0000
You could go with 10 Base 2 (Thin Coax) between the buildings and
install 10Base T hubs in each building to handle the distribution
inside of the buildings. Surge protection on any cable
entering/leaving a building is always a good idea.

My ideal solution for this case, and have installed many times for
clients is to use fiber optics between the buildings (NO Lightning
problems, ground loops,etc.). Can be easily upgraded to 100 Mbps if
the need arises. You can purchase 10Base T hubs that have the fiber
transc. built right into them, or you can buy external ones that will
interface with basically fit  any hub out there.

> I am putting together a small network between two offices.  The
> offices are in two buildings located about 300 feet apart. One
> office will have two computers and the other office will have two
> computers.  In addition, I need to be able to attach a laptop to the
> network on an occasional basis.  Future expansion may include the
> addition of one more office in a seperate building about 500 feet
> from the others. This addition would create a triangle shaped
> physical layout.  The computers are running W98 beta 3 at the moment.
>
> Question: Will peer-to-peer work or would something else be better.
> Question: What type of cabling would be best - the cabling has to be
> run underground.
>
> Years ago I had a Lantastic between the two offices - it worked OK
> except every thunderstorm in vicinity would blow the lantastic cards.
>
> TIA
>
> Jim Smithheisler

Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 308