From:
"Paul A. Valentine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:32:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Flash Memory

I just went through the same thing with a SmartMedia card. I "Moved" the
pictures off of the carf to my XP computer. When I put the empty card back
in the camera, I got a "Card Error" message and the camera would not accept
it even to format.

I fixed my card by running a free program, "Card Wiper"

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_utils.html

Then formatting it on my Win 98SE laptop. Formatting it on my XP machine was
not acceptable to the camera. Win 98 performed a proper "Smartmedia" format
through my Zio card reader. Win 98 seemed to know it was formatting a
Smartmedia card because the format screen was different than if I was
formatting a floppy. I don't know if this knowledge came built in to 98 or
if it was in the "reader driver software".

Anyhow, the card was fixed, and the camera accepted it, and recorded an
image.

I theorize that the memory cards are DOS based, and since XP is supposedly
non-DOS, and 98 is DOS, is why an XP format didn't work, and a 98 format
fixed it.

There seems to be some incompatibility between XP and the cards through a
reader when "moving"
Images off of some memory cards via some readers to the computer. I have
done the same operation though, using the same reader with my Memory Sticks,
many times, with no problems?????

Try Formatting the 'Error' card, using a reader on a Windows 98 computer and
see if that fixes it as it did my SM card.

Good Luck!!!

Paul

I have had same problem.  I talked it over with technical support
at the card company.  A new card was sent to me. (Traded.)

I think it is a VERY bad idea to try to format one of these cards
as FAT32.  I had one company tell me that, and another was
luke warm about it.

If you are able to get the card recognized (in anything other than
RAW mode during a data recovery operation) please e-mail me direct.
(The files are still on the card, you just can't see them normally,
or have regular access to the card using normal tools.)

                                                              Rick Glazier

From: "Peter Shkabara" <[log in to unmask]>

I think I goofed. My HP digital camera does not work well with my XP system,
so I connected a USB Flash Memory Card reader to my computer. Not knowing
any better, I tried to erase the Flash Card by selecting Quick Format on my
Explorer options. Now the card is not recognized by the camera.

Did I destroy the Flash Card, or is there some salvation?

A secondary question is: can a Flash Card be erased by the computer through
the card reader? As you can tell, I am new to the Flash Card reader stuff.