From:
Steve Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:54:20 -0500
Hi All,
    I posted a question about 3 weeks ago about this and just wanted to let
you know what I found. A friend's new Celeron PC reported no fan rpm in the
bios and a high operating temperature. When we finally got around to opening
the case we found that the socket 370 Celeron 400 is not equipped with a cpu
fan. It has just a large heatsink, about 2" thick, on it. There is also a 3"
case exhaust fan near the cpu and the usual power supply fan, also blowing
out of the case. The case fan is connected to a drive power lead, not the
motherboard, therefore no fan rpm was being reported. He has an extended
warranty on the PC, so we decided to just leave it as is and see what
happens. I must admit, I haven't seen a PC without a cpu fan for a long
time, guess it's just another cost cutting method.

Steve