From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:25:51 -0500
Greetings Randolpj--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randolpj Flennoy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 10:55 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Restart problem

> UPDATE--02-03-04
>
> After working with the system for a while I am now finding that on restart I am
getting power to the hard drive for approx 30 sec then the hard drive light goes off
and the monitor goes into the idle mode. I have tried disconnecting the floppy drive
and cd to reduce the strain on power source but there's no difference in what happens
on restart. I will include, although I don't think it makes a difference, I am using
the Windows ME operating system; it was doing the same thing with Windows 98SE.

> I have updated my computer. I replaced the motherboard with an ECS K7VTA3 and
installed a 1.6 gz AMD Athlon processor. I installed 128 mb ram. I can cold boot and
it works great. However when I restart I don't have power, nothing works. I can power
off at that point and wait approximately 5-6 minutes and it starts up great. I am at
a lose at what to do next. Any ideas???

You don't mention whether you have replaced the power supply.  I'm told (and have
read) that AMD
processors are very power-hungry, and that for clean GUARANTEED power.  Many (read
less-expensive/reputable)
power supplies available tout amp, volt, and watt output measured only at peak or
no-load conditions,
which provides little useful info about how the power supply will perform under
real-world conditions.

My recommendation would be to either purchase a power supply with sufficient capacity
for your
components from a reputable company like Antec, or (if you believe your PS is OK)
test your
component setup in a box with a known good (sufficient wattage) power supply to
eliminate that
as a possibility.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert