From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:41:56 -0500
Annie wrote:
> I have a Pentium 100, newly upgraded to 32 meg RAM, and from that time,
> Win3.11 has acted as if I lost RAM instead of gaining.
> Is there something I should change in Win3.11 so it knows to use the
> extra RAM ?

   It's possible you have mismatched RAM causing your problems. A
diagnostic program could analyze the speed of your machine to see if you
lost performance. Norton Utilities could detect the speed factor.

   Software remedies: If you have the hard drive space to spare go into
386 enhanced in Control Panel and set up a permanent swap file of about
80 MB (based on an old anecdotal formula of setting swap files to 2.5
times actual RAM). That will help a little, but Windows 3.1 does not
handle preemptive multitasking well and the resource problems are much
more severe than in Windows 9X.

> Another question. I read in a computer magazine a while ago that it was
> possible to have a Win 3.11 and Win95 dual boot, but I haven't been able
> to find it again. Is there any way to use Win95 without it taking over
> the whole system?

   Unless you really have essential 3.1 programs that can't run in 95
I'd suggest you totally upgrade with a clean drive install to Windows
95. But if you must have 3.1 and want to have 95 also you can do a dual
install. Just install Windows 95 to a separate directory. Or you can
install Windows 95 first and use this method to have 3.1 available:

    Can I install Windows 3.11 later on my WIN95 system without having
DOS and a dual boot option?

Basically the procedure is to:

1. Shut down WIN95 and start up SETUP in msdos mode.

2. Install Windows 3.11 to a different directory than WIN95.

3. Really strip it down with custom install. (a stripped WFW will be
about 10 MB)

4. Don't check box for it to install applications it finds on disk and
*DON'T* let it modify autoexec.bat
and config.sys.

5. Make a shortcut for win.com on Desktop in WIN95 and use Advanced
properties to make it use msdos
mode and close down WIN95 while activated.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene