From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:36:49 -0700
  For whatever it's worth:  When I get a "bubble" that new updates are
available, I always check "Details" before telling the system to go ahead
and download them.  Sometimes I'm on a wireless or dial-up connection and
would prefer to receive them at another time; even if I tell it to go ahead,
I'm not sur[rised by what I get.

David Gillett

On 12 Oct 2004 at 8:23, Michael Lanspa wrote:

> Last Saturday morning, I was on our family laptop (Dell, connected wirelessly to our Dell desktop) and an info bubble popped up and said there are updates available, do you want to download.  I clicked OK and to my horror, it started installing SP2.  The info bubble said nothing about loading SP2, it just "surprised" me after I clicked OK and the pop-up window showed the SP2 loading.  Result - - it totally corrupted my opsys so the "explorer.exe" file kept looping, making the "START" button and key inoperable.
 Bottom line was that totally reformatting seemed the only option.   I called there Dell tech and we were fortunately able to go to a restore point from the day before and restore the opsys.  The tech said he had heard MS was "inserting" SP2 into the generic update info bubbles, and he also said they have been getting jammed with calls from wireless users with "SP2 issues" liker mine (opsys trashed)...  Lessons learned - I'm waiting for a more stabile SP2 or maybe SP3.  Another tech joked that he only downloads
odd numbered SP's, since the even numbered ones seem to be problematic... Superstitious???   ;)

>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com