From:
Barry Marx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:36:00 -0400
Hi,

I'm not really sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but I thought
I'd ask my question here first.

I have a 2-year old Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop (Win XP home, IE 6).  I've
noticed this problem with some web pages, but today went to one that was
finally so bad that it has prompted me to write.  (The particular page
causing the problem today was related to dog training, and was
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html )

What happens is that, even after the page has been loaded, if I switch to it
from another open page, it is very slow to display the page on the screen.
This particular one takes about 20 seconds to display, appearing to refresh
from the top to the bottom of the screen.  I tend to keep a number of web
pages open at once, and use Alt-Tab or the mouse to switch between them.
Most pages display almost instantaneously.  Interestingly (to me, anyway),
the above page doesn't seem to have much graphics, and when I save it to a
.mht file, it's only about 127 kB.  Also, the same behavior occurs if I open
the saved version of the web page.

Some other basic info on my system, in case it's helpful:

Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz
15.4 in, 1920 x 1200 display
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 display adapter, 32 MB
640 MB ram
cable modem internet connection
I only have SP1 installed on XP.  I uninstalled SP2 because it broke a
number of apps I like to use.

I also tried the above web page on an older Inspiron 3000 laptop on the same
home network, and running Win 98SE, and it doesn't show the above-described
behavior.  It is, admittedly, much lower resolution (1024 x 768), but also
can't handle displaying many videos that the XP machine handles just fine.

Thanks for any input on this anyone can give.

Barry

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com