From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:55:27 -0700
On Tuesday, June 22, 1999 7:13 PM, Harold E. Schumacher, Jr.
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

<snip>
>>         I'm trying to re-install WIN95 on a P100 with a re-formatted
1.2GB
>> Seagate drive  and I'm still getting the following message:
>>
>>          SUWIN caused a General Protection Fault in module
>>          USER.EXE at 0006:005A
>>
>> I've worked with various suggestions so far to no avail.  To
>> review----it's not an overclocked chip, not an old drive, I've
>> swapped out the memory, virus checking is disabled in the BIOS and
>> the video card is not a Cirrus (it's a Trident).
>>
>> One thing that I noticed working on it today as opposed to
>> yesterday----after clicking on the "Close" button at the bottom of
>> the message----the numbers changed at the end.  After clicking
>> "Close" 3 or 4 more times, the numbers continued to change but then
>> the whole screen went to a black screen with the following message:
>>
>> Standard Mode:  Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender
>> Fault: 000D  Stack Dump: 0000 0000 0070  Raw Fault Frame: EC=0000
>> IP=3AB6
>> CS=06EF  FL=3202  SP=0000  SS=02C7
>>
>>         This re-format and re-install is certainly not going as smooth as
>> expected!!  Can anybody give me any further advice as to what to
>> do?  I appreciate the input I've gotten already.  Thanks for your
>> help!

Unless another list member has specific info with respect to this error msg,
this GPF error may appear during installation  or re-installation after you
click the notification regarding the acceptance of terms in the End User
License Agreement.  It is normally caused by memory and hard drive access
problems related to one of the following:

 (a) an incorrectly configured memory management software

(b) a GSI Basic Input/Output System (BIOS)

(c) a hard drive that requires double buffering but double buffering is not
enabled on your computer

(d) a Cirrus Logic video card that is incompatible with the WIN95/98 setup

(e) antivirus setting enabled in your computer's complementary metal-oxide
semiconducter (CMOS) settings. Since you have ruled-out (d) and (e), try the
following resolutions, if applicable in your case:

(1) reconfigure the memory management software so that it will allow WIN98
setup to finish. Refer to the documentation that came with your particular
memory management software.

(2) If your computer has a GSI BIOS, contact your computer's manufacturer
for information.  If you are not sure what kind of BIOS your computer has,
watch as your computer boots up to see the name of your BIOS.

(3) enable double buffering for your hard drive and consult your hd
manufacturer's tech support dept for assistance if necessary.

(4) restart the computer, booting into DOS, and run the WIN95/98 setup.

(5) make sure that you have disabled any antivirus programs before running
setup.  You can enable them again once you have installed WIN98
successfully. These are just troubleshooting techniques and in no way am I
implying that this is the correct answer. HTH  :-)

Walter

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org