From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:39:34 -0600
From: Peter Ramins :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Update on Ghost Soudcard

> > I did have the same problem as you did when I installed a network card.
> > Even the bios could not find the SB Live card.  I may have been luckier
> then
> > you have been as I was able to move the card to a different PCI slot and
> get
> > it recognized by the bios again.  I had uninstalled the drivers and made
> > sure that there were no references to the card in the registry.  I had 4
> > slots to work with and i believe that I had read a message that the SB
> live
> > likes to be near the first slot if it can be.  It is now working in the
> > first PCI slot as I have an AGP video card.  It shares the IRQ with the
> > video card.  If moving the card to different PCI slots does not get it
> > recognized by the Bios then I would try to return it to the manufacturer
> if
> > it is still under warranty.  Good Luck
>
>     I have a STB Velocity 4400 pci in the first slot, and the SB Live! in
> the second slot currently, tho it has occupied other slots. Is there any
> reason why I shouldn't move the video card to the second slot and put the
> sound card in the first? I may try that, but if there's a performance hit
> possibility, it's NOT worth getting this sound card to work...
>
> -Peter Ramins

Peter,

It should not make a difference which PCI slot the video card is in.  If you
have another PC available you might see if the SB Live works in another
computer to verify if the sound card is any good or not.  One of the SB Live
cards I installed would not seat in the PCI slot properly after I screwed it
in.  It would tip the card slightly.  I had to bend the top of the bracket a
little bit so that it would stay seated in the slot after I screwed it in.
If your video card works in the PCI slot that the SB Live was in then you
can eliminate the PCI slot as being part of the problem.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org