From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:24:03 -0800
>1) Does anyone know where I can find info on how much memory win2k would
>
>There is a 20-30Mb memory waste! The problem is not the
>my home machine has more "processes" loaded after boot, but for almost each
>"process", it requires more memory than I saw at work.

Windows 2000 like NT4 has a far more sophisticated memory management system
then does any version of Win9x.
Windows 2000 will grab a large percentage of the available ram for it's
cache and release it out as required. On machine's with 128 meg or below it
may grab eighty percent of the available RAM at boot. What you are
describing is perfectly normal. The ram is not being wasted. It is being
cached by Win2k until it is needed at which time the OS will release it.
Windows 2000 like NT4 does not allow software to directly access hardware
and it is up to the OS to determine who gets what RAM and when it gets it.

>2) At work, we have problems (driver problem?) with win2k and TNT2 Ultra
>card (crash/unstable during 3D game test or other 3D test, eg run Q3 demo
>loop 4hrs), I saw report that pointed TNT2 Ultra card has problem with
>win2k, any one knows more, and possible solution?

I own a Diamond TNT2 Ultra and the card is not inherently unstable under
Windows 2000.That said I have never really liked the card. I have had a few
problems with games in both Win2K and Win98....the big one being the screen
is always too dark.....stability problems only occurred when I was over
clocking the processor. I get better game performance from it in 98 so on
the rare day I want to play a game i will boot into 98.

However I have had far more problems getting good 2D performance from the
card on my high end 22 inch flat screen monitor.I have diagnosed this as a
conflict between the monitor driver and this video card, the only solution
to which is a new video card. You may have a similar conflict. If you want
to play games in Win2000 with this card then you can  try using Nividia
Reference or Detonator drivers. If that doesn't work then there may not be
a solution. You may have a driver conflict with another device and
unfortunately Nividia is not known for updating their drivers.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org