Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:01:28 +1200
Brian, I'm curious as to why you'd need to change the SourcePath in the
registry after doing an initial Windows installation in this way, as the
registry should already show the route taken by the installation files.

I assume you're referring to the change you'd make to the registry, after
copying the Win98 folder to a machine that has had a previous, conventional,
CD-based installation?

I'm not making this enquiry for myself, as I use the method with all of my
builds, but rather for the benefit of other people who might be interested
in trying this system on their next install.

And for anyone trying to find the Source Path, note that you'll need to
double click the Setup folder at the end of the registry path noted in
Brian's post, so that the Setup folder opens, and not just click the plus
sign alongside the Setup folder, as this will bypass the required area.

You can also try a 'Find' (Edit\Find) in the registry, entering 'SourcePath'
(no quotes) in the entry box, but note that you may find more than one
SourcePath in W98, there's bound to be an IE source path also, so just make
sure you have the right one.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Brian Williamson" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] problem while installing
windows98.

> Here is the technique that I use:
>
> After installing Windows98 using the standard installation steps (i.e.
> Windows98 Boot Disk with Windows98 CD-ROM in ROM drive), I use Start,
> Programs, MS-DOS prompt.  I then create a first level folder on drive C:
> called "C:\WIN98"
>
> I then copy all CAB files from D:\WIN98 to C:\WIN98

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml