From:
Dave Littlehale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:48:55 -0500
I have the Promise Ultra33 installed and it recognizes the 6.4 WD hd.  I
used fdisk to set up the primary partition, logical drives, and set the
primary partition active.

Formatted the new drives and the primary drive was formatted using the
/s switch.

I have both hard drives connected to the controller card with the old hd
as the primary and the new hd as the secondary; the CD Rom is still
attached to the mb.

Copied the contents of the old hd using the following command:

xcopy c:\*.*  d:\  /r /i /c /h /k /e /y

I switched the cables to make the new hd the primary and I can't get Win
95 to load. It stops at the 2nd bios screen.  As long as I have my old
hd as the primary, Win 95 loads.

Called WD tech and they suggested I zero the hd and install everything
fresh.  There has to be a better solution.  Does anyone have it?

Also, my original hd is over 2 yrs old and with the controller card it
is as slow as molasses.  Though I haven't timed it, I would say that it
is taking Win 95 twice as long to install, Netscape 2x-3x longer.  The
Promise people said they noticed an increase in performance???

Any ideas as to what this is all about.

Thanks for all your assistance

Dave Littlehale