From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:57:10 -0400
At 13:39 6/7/99 , Doug Simmons wrote:
 >Can Partition Magic "change" a primary partition to an extended partition
 >without loosing data?
 >
 >I have not seen anything in the manual that says yes or no and don't like
 >to be playing with the program if I don't need to.

Hi Doug

I've done this...but in the following round about way.

If you have the freespace, you can create an empty extended partition
and then copy the primary partition into the extended partition's free
space. Then you delete the original primary partition. It might help to
first shrink the primary partition as small as possible so that you
have as much free space as possible for the extended partition. (You
can expand the extended partition and logical drive later.)

Since I have more than one drive, I usually copy the original primary
partition to another drive, delete the original, create the extended
in the space that was freed up, copy the recently created partition from
the other drive into the new extended, and then delete the copy on the
other drive.

I'd like to think that I would have discovered any easier way when I
read through the PM documentation. Like you, I didn't see anything.
I do understand that my way may not be possible if you don't have
a lot of free space available.

Regards,
Bill

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html