From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:33:30 -0500
In "modern" computers, the wire is not always necessary from the
CD-ROM (or RW) drive in order to hear CDAudio music.
The wire connection is an "analog link" for the drive to your sound card.

Some of the new software players (like Windows Media Player)
take the music off the CD as pure digital and puts the sound into
the sound card as digital and it is "there" that it is finally changed to analog
unless you have digital speakers...

            Hope this helps.    Rick Glazier