From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:44:44 -0600
My new build connects with the internet when plugged directly into my
WildBlue satellite modem, but not when plugged into my router.

My home network hub is a D-Link DIR-655 router, wireless with four
Ethernet plug-in ports.  This has worked well for some time, but I did
use Network Magic to aid me in making everything work and share
together.  Three computers were using Vista, there are two TIVO wireless
connections, and one HP wireless printer.

I am replacing one computer with a new build using Vista Premium along
with an Asus Striker II Formula motherboard, an Asus EN8800GTX video
card, a QX9650 processor, two Gig of Corsair memory, and a 1200 watt
PCP&C power supply.  (I have had a few problems with this combination,
but it does seem to work, more or less.  The ASUS mb has some tricky
power saving and overclocking stuff on it.)

As far as I can tell, the workgroup, SSID, etc. have all been set up the
same as for the older computer, but no Network Magic.  (I would like to
get away from using this and learn how to connect this myself.)  The
Network and Sharing center shows a connection to a "Public network"
(which I change to private, but to no avail), but there is an X over the
line from the LAN to the Internet.

The only thing tricky (other than Network Magic) about this setup is
that I have reserved IP numbers on the router.  I found that this seemed
to be necessary, or, at least useful, to avoid IP conflicts with the
TIVO connections.  After I reserved the IP numbers the problems with the
TIVO connections disappeared.

I don't know where to go from here short of installing Network Magic
:(    (Networking is not my forte!)

Dean Kukral