From:
Robert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:04:30 -0500
From: "Daniel Skilleter" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 12:26 AM
Subject: Re: COM 5

> There is no problem with the modems, at all
> It is simply what is known as a software modem. My Netcomm is on Com5
> Others are on Com3. They are also known as WinModems which means the
program
> you are using must be a windows based program. This is normal
> for such a software modem. Com5 is also a software based comport thats why
> it is not detected under dos, What programs are you using,
> there are a few ways around it, Use windows based software which supports
> software modems, or buy a hardware external modem.

The com port assignment does not tell you whether the modem is software or
hardware. It could be either. My hardware modem is set as com5 by windows ME
and com3 by windows 2000. Com5 does not mean that the com port is software,
it's not that simple. Any hardware add-in serial port will more than likely
be configurable as com5 or higher. There are serial port add-in cards that
have 4 to 8 serial ports and they are hardware. If the comm program you are
trying to run is dos based or other non windows os, then it is best to get a
hardware modem and the external models are the easiest to configure since
they communicate through the standard pc com ports. More than likely the
modem is a controllerless host adapter and will not run dos programs very
well if at all.