From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:30:29 -0800
On 15 Nov 98 at 6:03, Marc Montminy wrote:

> Are Pentium II motherboards made for AT class machines? It seems
> all I can find from ASUS and others is ATX PII motherboards. What
> do I do if I want to make a Pentium I AT machine into a PII?

  Whether a board is AT or ATX is kind of orthogonal to whether it
uses Socket 7 ("Pentium I") or Slot 1 (PII); both CPU interfaces are
available in both form factors.
  PII in AT form could take a little searching, however; most dealers
won't have it in stock.

  I found, when I installed one (GigaByte, but 440LX rather than
440BX) that I had to choose between installing memory DIMMs on the
motherboard or installing drives in my 3.5" bays.  It took a little
bit of improvisation to find somewhere else for my drives.
  So while I achieved success, the process was more difficult than I
had anticipated.  I would not generally recommend such an update to
you.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html