From:
"Paul%20A.%20Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:49:49 +0000
Greetings--

PUIS =  Power up in Stand By Mode

SSC = Spread Spectrum Clocking (which I don't think you need worry about?)

PHY = Enables a 3GB/sec. SATA drive to operate at the lower-speed 1.5GB/sec. SATA I standard

The solution may have to do with your motherboard's ability to use a newer standard drive (regardless of jumper settings). The following comes from a solution to a similar issue reported at www.techsupportforum.com .  If you read the whole exchange on this topic, you'll notice whittaker007's symptoms are very similar to yours.

Re: BIOS won't complete POST with large SATA drive attached

Success! I managed to get it working by patching updated SATA drivers into the last released BIOS and flashing that to my system.

A bit of a gamble and a lot of hunting around but the updated drivers, the patching utility, and patching guide were found here , and I downloaded the last official BIOS and flashing utility from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Finding the info was the hardest part, actually carrying out the procedure was relatively painless.

The location for this particular person's drivers, BIOS, patch, etc. is one that my employer's filter won't let me access, but, as indicated, the problem may reside in your BIOS code.  You might consider searching with your motherboard's manufacturer and model to see if an updated BIOS is available.  Often, when this is the case, there will be a brief description at the most likely site (usually the manufacturer's support site) of what the update addresses--allowing, for example, the board to access newer standard drives.

HTH.

Paul A. Shippert

I have a new WD SATA HD. My computer does not see it when I open explorer. It shows up under devices but has zero capacity listed under properties. There are also 2 jumper settings, one enables PUIS and the other limits PHY to 3Gbps.

Any thoughts on why devices sees the HD but explores does not?

Exactly what is PUIS and PHY?

I have a new WD SATA HD. My computer does not see it when I open explorer. It shows up under devices but has zero capacity listed under properties. There are also 2 jumper settings, one enables PUIS and the other limits PHY to 3Gbps.

Any thoughts on why devices sees the HD but explores does not?

Exactly what is PUIS and PHY?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml