From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:29:02 +1000
Richard wrote:
>  I have lost my password. I have windows XP >>

Here's a trick worth trying if you can access the Command Prompt. I don't
know if this will be possible if you can't get into Safe Mode. You'd
obviously have to bypass the "Click Start" bit.

It might run from an emergency boot disk.

"Click Start | Run and type cmd to open a command prompt window.
At the prompt, type net users. This will show a list of the local user
accounts created on the computer.
Pick the account for which you want to change the password. Type net user
*. Be sure to put a space between the account name and the asterisk.
You'll be prompted to type a new password for the user. Type it in. Then
you'll be asked to confirm the password. Type it again.
You should receive a message that the command completed successfully. Now
you can use the new password to log onto the account.
This works with all editions of XP, but only for local accounts (not domain
accounts). "

If you later want to get rid of the password, here's how:

"For anyone who is the sole user of his or her computer here are the steps for
getting rid of the login:

1. Go to Control panel
2. Click administrative tools
3. Local Security Settings
4. Click Minimum password length
5. Reduce it to 0, No password required
6. Go to user account in control panel click your account and remove
password.

This will disable the password feature."

And another method:

"You will need to edit the registry to
remove a value from the right side of the tree at the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings.

Click Start -> Run -> Regedit, navigate to the above key and look at the
right pane of the regedit window.  There should be two values
there.  Highlight the one
that is NOT the default value (basically the default value is just a place
holder),
then delete it.

Next click start, find, files and folders, type
"ratings.pol" in top line, C: in bottom, find now. When this file is found,
delete it. This will remove password set, and leave content advisor fully
operable."

If you have the BartPE emergency boot disk which will load its own Lite XP,
you could possibly access your XP files sufficient to carry out the above.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com