From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:50:43 -0500
From: Kurr, Martin Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Garbled video

> You can first search for updated video drivers (check card manufacturer
and
> chipset manufacturer sites).  They may have added refresh control to the
> driver set.  Also, you can set monitor to your (or similarly limited)
model
> in device manager of Windows.  Although I don't know if this will actually
> affect refresh default, it is easy to do and worth a shot.
> Martin Kurr
> email [log in to unmask]

> > From: Jose E. Dominguez> > Subject:      Re: [PCBUILD] Garbled video
> > > It could be the "adapter default" refresh rate is going over 60Hz.  I
> > > suggest you force 60Hz or lower refresh (assuming the drivers allow).
> > No there's no setting for it but the "adapter default" refresh going
over
> > 60
> > makes sense. Perhaps there's a way to change this settings in the inner
> > workings of windows. Anyone know how?

I do know that selecting the correct monitor can have an impact on your
display.  I changed a monitor on a computer from a Packard Bell 1511 to a
Dell Ultrascan ES.  Windows did not automatically catch the change and the
monitor was left as the Packard Bell in System properties.  I had set the
"screen area" to 800x600 and wanted to change it to 640x480.  Everytime I
tried to change it I would get a blank screen and then the monitor would
finally come back on when I didn't select the yes to keep the new
resolution.  I finally realized that the monitor was not the Packard Bell
and changed it to the Dell Ultrascan and I was able to change the Screen
Area.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html