From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 09:51:39 -0700
Good Morning,

I have never found the need to work with the Evergreen Overdrive
chip...  until now.

A young lady brought me a computer she has installed such a chip
into...  and it has problems.

The system has a 486 motherboard.   She removed the 486DX33
chip from the system and installed the Evergreen 586 chip
part Number #90-0131-0.   The motherboard was configured for
a 486DX33 / 486DX-66 chip & the overdrive chip set to 4X.  The
Evergreen chip is set to Normal & Write Thru cache.

The Problem:  The system shows errors reading the Hard drive,
Win95 will not start, basic Dos applications will not run...  (MS Dos
Edit errors out)...   looking for all the world as hardware errors.

The system shows a chip speed of 80Mhz, instead of the 133Mhz.

I tried setting the system for a 486DX40 chip with the jumpers and
resetting the overdrive chip to 3X, now it should show a chip speed
of 120Mhz....  it still reports 80Mhz and the errors still happen.

From my experience, the errors, (hard drive and application errors),
are indicative of a hardware problem.

I am stumped with this one.   Does anyone have any experience with
these Overdrive chips and suggestions???

   Thanks

    Bob

List Owner  PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ