From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:19:16 -0500
From: "Ultra" :Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] More on cooling fans

> A bit of my $0.02, under normal situation, CD drives don't produce much
> heat, That's true. but running games (games that must read from CD) for 5
or
> 6 hours, or none stop burning CD for 7 hours is another story. I told the
> story before, I have to tell the story again, one of my co-worker burned
his
> first CD writer during a long time burning process because he placed his
CD
> writer and CDROM driver next each other (that leaves no space to let heat
go
> away). I'm pretty sure every one has experience that after a long run, CDs
> out from drives become warm/hot. I personaly have bad experience when
CDROM
> drive goes too hot (crashed my game, destroyed my 5 hours works) two years
> ago, since then, I have never ever let my computer overheat again by any
> meaning.
> As far as I know, there is no fans designed to solve CD drives heat
problem,
> except you can place a drive bay fan to one of your empty 5" bay right
above
> your CD drive (especialy CD writer). And yes, open case cover is another
> solution that won't cost you a cent.
>
> I have to say sorry to Bob, I'm not against your opinion, I just use your
> post as a base so I don't have to write something you've already done.
>
> Jun Qian

I have to agree with Jun that some CDR, CDRW drives will have heat problem
from my own experience.  I had a Yamaha 4260 CDRW which had heat problems.
Even when they were not used they created a lot of heat and the drive was
sent back to Yamaha several times for warranty work.  Two days after the
warranty expired the drive died again.  From the news groups I gathered I
was not the only one having this problem with the 4260.  A 4260 I installed
in a customers computer died in the first month and a new drive was given to
the customer.  He never had another problem with his and is still using it
successfully.  I personally had had it with Yamaha and bought a Plextor.
The internal Plextor CDR drive has a fan in the case to help with heat
dissipation.  The drive is almost 2 years old now and I have not had one
problem with this drive.

Mary Wolden