From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:16:29 -0800
On 18 Jul 98 at 6:27, Neal Daskal wrote:

> My source is a IBM publication, PC and PS/2 Pocket Reference Manual
> S41G-5086-00.  I quoted from it to try to answer the original question.
> Of course, it may be wrong even though it's IBM.  Wouldn't be the
> first time.  Also note that the value I quoted is described as the
> "Sync Freq".  Could that be different from the scan frequency?
> Anyway, to add perspective I've added the values given for the
> IBM Color and Enhanced Color Displays below.  I interpret "EGA/CGD"
> to mean "Enhanced Graphics Adapter set up to use the Color Graphics
> Display".
>
> >On 17 Jul 98 at 12:05, Neal Daskal wrote:
> >
> >> 5151  50/16.257khz  Mono
>    5153  60/15.750khz  Color
>    5154  60/15.750khz  EGA/CGD
>          60/21.8khz    EGA/EGD
> >
> >  The PC video FAQ I found shows 18.43kHz horizontal for both MDA and
> >CGA, but I could've sworn that CGA was 14.something -- in that
> >awkward range where most men can't hear it, but most women can (and
> >find it irritating).

  So over the weekend I dug out my IBM Technical Reference (revised
ed, 1984)[*], which confirms the 15.75kHz for the Color monitor (at
50 or 60 Hz) -- the web site that showed it as 18.43kHz was
apparently incorrect.
  But it DOES show 18.43@50 for the Mono Display horizontal scan
frequency.  It shows 16.25MHz (that's MEGA, not KILO) as the total
"throughput" for the display monitor.

[*] This edition lists three display options:  Mono, CGA, and the
display in the IBM Portable PC.

  I am unable to find a spec printed on my mono monitor here, or a
URL for its manufacturer.

David G