From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:49:17 -0800
On 20 Nov 98 at 15:17, Joseph H. Bishop wrote:

> I have a client with a socket 7 mb Pentium 166 processor.  He wants
> to uprade to 233mmx processor.
>
> Are all socket 7 mb able to utilize the mmx chips with dual
> voltage requirements?

  NO.  A Socket 7 board that supports split voltage will likely say
something somewhere about supporting the "P55C".  You may find this,
or the single-voltage "P54C" designation, screened onto the board in
the middle of the socket -- underneath the CPU.

> There is a setting for up to 75mhz bus speed  but no voltage
> settings for the cpu ... could the be auto sensed and set according
> to the installed cpu ?

  Abit's IT5H and a few other boards let you configure speed and
voltage in software.  Since there's no real way for this software to
sense the chip's specs, apparently running for limited amounts of
time on too high voltage is not too dangerous.

> The computer was built in 1996 and there  is absolutely no
> documentation on the unit whatsoever.

  If you can jot down the BIOS ID string (usually appears at the
bottom of the screen while booting), there are sites that can
cross-index that with AMI or Award (and I believe also Phoenix) to
identify the manufacturer.
  1996 = good odds that the board does NOT support split voltages.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html