From:
Michael Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:25:22 -0700
I'd try trolling EBay for a replacement drive before going to Dell and
paying full price. You should be able to find a suitable 20 - 40GB drive
for
a reasonable price, and be back up and running in short order.

My Dell 8000 uses a standard 2.5" HDD with an adapter plug (the plug just
pulls
off once the drive is out of the computer). You'll need to remove the drive
from
its carrier (4 small Philips-head screws), then pull off the adapter plug.
At
this point, you should be able to compare the old drive and the new drive
for
size, pinout, jumpering, etc. The laptop drives I've worked with have been
remarkably similar and quite interchangeable. In fact, I'm currently using
spare 2.5" laptop drive as the C: drive on one of my desktop computers,
connected
with an adapter I got from Cyberguys. It's been there for several months
and
works just fine.

Good luck,
Mike Brown,