From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:05:43 -0500
At 13:11 01/27/01, John Bissell wrote:
>I was at an electronics store not too long ago, and they suggested
>that its possible to have too much RAM. I have a P3 600, 128 100
>MHZ SDRAM. Would it be good to double it?

There should be no problem with increasing memory to 256 MB.
Will it help? Maybe...if you run lots of programs at the same time.

The "too much RAM" problem happens if you have *more than*
512 MB and are using Win95, Win98, Win98SE, or WinME.

The Microsoft knowledge Base article

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

says:

"If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows
listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768
megabytes) of physical memory (RAM) installed, you may..."

get "out of memory" errors when opening MS-DOS mode or when
starting Windows!

The solution is to limit how much memory Win9X uses by adding the
line "MaxPhysPage=<nnn>" to the Vcache section of your System.ini
file. (<nnn> is the hexidecimal value of the amount of memory to
be used.)

If you have Win98, the System Configuration utility will add the
above line to your System.ini file for you if you use the option
"Limit Memory to <x> MB". For more information on this, see:

Specifying Amount of RAM Available to Windows Using MaxPhysPage
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/8/62.ASP

System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/9/66.ASP

Regards,
Bill