From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:26:52 -0700
Need to use a crossover cable instead of a straight-through cable to connect
one pc NIC directly to another. Some newer network cards can compensate for
the use of straight-through cables, but not yours. At this point, a
straight-through cable is connecting the transmit sides together and leaving
the receiving sides high and dry. A crossover cable correctly allows the
transmit side of one NIC to talk to the receiving side of the other NIC, and
back the other way as well. Shouldn't set you back more than a couple of
bucks at your local electronics store.

Kenneth Whyman
Chance favors the prepared mind.