From:
Jeffrey Ottie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:49:18 -0400
Hello Group,

After years of using various desktop PCs, I've decided that I'd like my next
PC to be a desktop replacement 64-bit notebook or laptop with enough power
and performance to see me through the transition from 32-bit  machines to
64-bit machines that is forecast to occur in the next two or three years.

That said, I've been looking at notebooks built around AMD's Athlon 64 and
Turion 64 CPUs and find myself wondering which processor type and
manufacturer should be getting my attention and money.  Two machines that
I've looked into are the Gateway 7510GX powered by a mobile Athlon 64 3700+
and a custom-built Compaq R4000 powered by a Turion 64 4000+; both machines
have 1MB L2 cache.

I'm really not partial to any one vendor or CPU manufacturer, but do desire
a machine that will be robust, reliable, delivers good value and is a joy to
use <grin> (at least for geeks and geek wannabes) </grin>.

Anyone out there care to offer up some advice and recommendations?  I'm all
ears.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, comments (both pro & con), and
general input on the subject.

Kind regards,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom