From:
Dave Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:44:56 -0500
My three year old AMD Athlon computer, running Win 98SE, has stopped
recognizing USB devices.  It will not recognize the presence of my
Handspring Visor, or a Logitech optical mouse, or a SONY digital voice
recorder.  The Visor has stopped hotsyncing with this machine, but it will
hotsync with another computer.  So we know that it is not the PDA and is
likely a motherboard or Windows problem on this machine.  The PDA had been
the primary USB device used, and for about the last two years.

I have tried deleting all of the USB "devices" from the Device Manager in
Control Panel and then letting Windows reinstall them.  No joy.  I also
tried downloading Logitech mouse drivers and switching the mouse from PS-2
port to the USB port.  While the USB port would light up the optical
mouse's light, Windows would not recognize that a mouse was connected to
the MB.

Otherwise, the computer seems to be functioning perfectly.  Peer to network
and Internet function just fine.  All programs seem to function just fine
-- just as long as they do not need to communicate with a USB device.

Any suggestions before I admit defeat, and take the CPU box to the dreaded
repair shop for a bill that is not really in our budget?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Ralph

David E. Ralph
Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services
A Division of Legal Aid of Western New York, Inc.
215 E. Church St., Ste 301
Elmira, NY 14901
VOX 607-734-1647 Ext. 205
FAX 607-734-1018