From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:42:58 -0700
What I would be interested in knowing is what IRQ was assigned to the card
before and after you swapped slots.  There is another thread going on right
now that has to do with USB and NIC sharing IRQ's, and I would suggest that
the problems might be interelated.

Where I work we use 3COM cards EXCLUSIVELY on systems where the NIC is not
integrated into the motherboard.  Not one of these NICS has ever been able
to successfully share an IRQ.  If there is another device on the same IRQ,
either that device or the NIC is very flakey.  So, if the NIC in question
here were sharing an IRQ with another device for whatever reason, I would
suggest that the slow boot may be a result of this.

One afterthought.  Back in the 3COM 905-TPO days (before the 905b or any
iteration thereof), I discovered that these devices did not like it when
they WEREN'T connected to a network.  About every four seconds they would
make an appeal to they system, looking for a network connection.  This had
the annoying repercussion of making the mouse freeze ever-so-slightly every
four seconds.  There may be some such anomaly occurring here as well.

Kyle Elmblade