From:
"Darren K. Page" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:36:49 -0400
I spoke with a rep from Videotron at Comdex here in Montreal last year, and
he said for their cable modem service to work in this manner, you would have
to buy an extra IP address for each extra machine. In essence they supply
only one IP address for the one machine that is supposed to be directly
connected to the cable modem. At 20$ a month for each extra IP address, I
said no thanks, and proceeded in the manner described below (although I use
WinGate).

I also recommend using two different brand NIC's in the proxy machine,
because I ran into a problem once using two identical D-Link's. For some
reason the drivers would conflict, and not load for one or the other NIC. By
using two different brands, you also have two different drivers.

I do know one person who pays for two IP addresses from Videotron, and he no
longer needed a proxy, because the DHCP server was configured to allow two
IP's on his node.

Also, FYI, Windows NT will allow you to assign two IP addreses to on NIC,
and I think LInux will do it too.

Darren K. Page
Montreal, Qc

On 8 Aug 99, at 10:48, Jerry Rasmussen wrote:

> Has anyone had success getting SyGate to work with two PCs and the cable
> modem connected to a hub...

  Using a gateway product like SyGate means that you have two "sets" of IP
addresses; an "internal" set which your PCs use to talk to each other
locally, and an "external" set that is used with the cable modem and the
outside world.
  The SyGate PC needs to have TWO addresses, one in each set.

  In theory, you can run both sets across a single hub.  In practice,
though,
there are several "grey areas" where this can get you into trouble.  Also,
the SyGate PC needs two addresses; some OSes, especially WIndows, may not
let
you assign two addresses to a single NIC.

  The *preferred* approach, then, is to structure the two "sets" of
addresses
as physically separate networks, where the gateway PC is connected to both;
this will require a second NIC in that machine.  [I suggest using two
different makes/models of NIC, to help ensure that you do not get their
configurations reveresed.]

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>