From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:07:07 -0500
Raymond,

Since my original post to you, I have learned that there
are a few drives with special jumper settings --- like yours.

HOWEVER

According to the Fujitsu web site, your drive MAY
be capable of accessing it's full potential by using the
"special" jumper settings.

I saw nothing that supports your statement that the drive
is permanently limited in size.

Unfortunately, Fujitsu's web construction uses an odd combination
of frames and image files rather than text, so I can't give you the
exact URL but go to www.fcpa.com and click the links
for SUPPORT -- HARD DRIVES -- then pick your model --
and finally click the option for SEE JUMPER SETTINGS

There you will find information about your drive and how it
can be set up to "see" the full 6,704 cylinders.

But..... as I said in my previous post.......

         Assuming your BIOS and/or HDD controller
         can handle the larger drive size

The problem is not as much with the drive itself, but
the controller (and BIOS) which accesses the drive.

I have had several clients in a similar situation as yours.
They upgraded hard drives to sizes that were larger than
the PC could handle and then later upgraded the PC.

In each case, I was successful in gaining access to the
full drive.

Once the PC MoBo was upgraded, I used FDISK to
set up the additional cylinders and then used Partition Magic
to combine the partitions into a single unit.