From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:55:44 -0600
There's probably not a cut and dried answer to this one.  The best thing
that anyone short of an Intel engineer with a microscope could say is,
"maybe".  The CPUs are designed to operate within a particular temperature
range, both for performance and longevity reasons.  Certainly if the
temperature gets high enough you can expect that the CPU will be damaged.
But you're wondering if there is some sort of non-visible, or latent damage
that might show up later, I think.

Based on the projects that I've worked on, I suspect that your chip is
probably OK.  While Intel provides a particular temperature range for proper
operation, there is almost always a significant "fudge" factor that allows
for short-term operation outside of the published range.

When the CPU gets too hot, the tiny aluminum or copper traces can begin to
degrade.  You probably will not notice a decrease in performance...generally
speaking, by the time the damage is noticable, the chip is no longer
working.  Since the heat sink was very hot, that tells you that it was doing
its job.

Again, this is pure supposition on my part, but I think that I've seen
enough examples and read enough literature to be able to say that if the
heat sink was not so hot that you could not touch it that your CPU is still
OK and should keep working for some time to come.

Drew Dunn
(Almost an EE)